The drinks industry’s great and good gathered at Oriole in London tonight to recognise the 2017 Imbibe Personality of the Year award winners, including one special award for the Personality of the Decade.
Ryan Chetiyawardana, aka Mr Lyan, was the recipient of this one-off award, which recognises consistent, outstanding achievement over the past decade. It was created to mark Imbibe‘s 10th anniversary this year, and sponsored by Tanqueray No. Ten.
The nine other awards recognise outstanding achievement in various sectors of the on-trade, as well as awards for innovators, educators and the up-and-coming, as well as a lifetime achievement award, and a discretionary Chairman’s Award. Here they are:
- Ago Perrone, Connaught Bar – Bar Personality of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Fernet Branca)
- Roy Ellis, Mission Mars – Pub Personality of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Luscombe Drinks)
- Adam Byatt, Trinity – Restaurant Personality of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Maxime Trijol Cognac)
- Craig Bancroft, Northcote – Hotel Personality of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Champagne Louis Roederer)
- Leon Dalloway, Gin Journey – Innovator of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Blackwell Rum)
- Annabel Smith, Beer Belle and Myles Cunliffe, Mixology Group – Educator of The Year 2017 (sponsored by Brew + Press)
- Aidan Bowie, Dandelyan – Hot Stuff 2017 (sponsored by Bulleit)
- George Bergier, The Victorian Chop House Company Limited – Industry Legend 2017 (sponsored by Southern Comfort)
- Chris and Jeff Galvin, Galvin Restaurants – Chairman’s Award 2017 (sponsored by Vype)
- Ryan Chetiyawardana, Mr Lyan – Personality of The Decade (sponsored by Tanqueray No. Ten)
Nominees for the awards were all selected by Imbibe’s readers, with winners then chosen by a panel of industry judges including Gerard Basset MW OBE, Jared Brown, Anistatia Miller, Laure Patry, Matthieu Longuere MS, Mark Dorber, Loyd Loudy, Charlie Young and Sunaina Sethi, as well as the Imbibe editorial team.
‘The talent in our industry needs to be nurtured and deserves to be celebrated,’ said Imbibe publishing and events director, Sonja van Praag. ‘The passion and determination of our nominees is what drives their success and Imbibe is proud to recognise the achievements of those across the country who help improve the standards of the industry as a whole.’We are delighted to crown Ryan as our Personality of The Decade. His work is consistently innovative and exciting and he illustrates why the UK is at the forefront of the global drinks scene.’