Enter the Diplomático World Tournament and you could be jetting off on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Venezuela to represent the UK in the European Final, and ultimately competing in the Global Final. There’s a cheque for a cool $10,000 at stake too…
It’s an ambitious and far-reaching competition, but that suits this Venezuelan rum brand. Made by Destilerias Unidas, with nearly 50 years of experience, the Diplomático range is considered to be one of the best South American rums.
The range, with a Blanco, Reserva, the new Mantuano, Reserva Exclusiva, Single Vintage and Ambassador, has great breadth of style, offering bartenders around the world, and specifically those entering this competition, exceptional versatility when creating serves and cocktails.
Plot a course to greatness
So you’ve entered? What’s your path to global recognition and a briefcase full of cash?
- First up is the qualifying round, in which judges will evaluate your submission – containing 30ml of one of the Diplomático range, and no more than six ingredients. You’ll know if you’re through by 23 January.
- Compete in one of four regional heats – Scotland, Midlands & North of England, South of England Hotels & Restaurants, and South of England Bars – all occurring in early February. You’ll have seven minutes to present your drink from the qualifying round.
- Go through to the UK final, where you’ll be expected to make a winning drink with the newly-launched Diplomático Mantuano. Take top spot here and you’ll be packing your bags…
- Represent the UK at the Diplomático European World Tournament Final 2017, held in Venezuela. You’ll present the same drink as you did in the previous round. Emerge triumphant here and you’re headed to the Beaufort Bar at The Savoy (after enjoying the rest of your time in Venezuela, of course).
- At the Beaufort Bar in June 2017, you’ll compete alongside other global finalists, facing a number of challenges before presenting your signature cocktail to the judges.
- Take first prize. Accept the fame, glory, and (probably) an oversized cheque.
About that trip… you’re looking at seven nights of all-expenses-paid Venezuelan experience. Expect to fully explore the country’s beaches, enjoy its cuisine, and much more. That’s when you’re not enjoying the warm hospitality of brand owners the Ballesteros, visiting the distillery and tasting rum…