Bottled at full navy strength (54.5% abv) with no sugar added and non-chill filtered, only 5,000 bottles of the new Black Tot Anniversary have been produced
The new expression created by head blender at Elixir Distillers, Oliver Chilton, is made with rums from the ‘four cornerstones of the original navy rum’: Barbados, Jamaica, Guyana and Trinidad, plus rum ‘from the original Navy Rum flagons themselves’ (details of the blend are given in the box). It will be the first in a series of annual Navy Strength Black Tot Day releases.
Blend Composition & Distillation:
- 28% 12 year Guyana - Demerara Distillers - Savalle still
- 27% 9 year Guyana - Demerara Distillers - Savalle still
- 15% 11 year Barbados - Foursquare - pot/column still
- 11% 10 year Trinidad - Trinidad Distillers - column still
- 8% 9 year Jamaica - Hampden - pot still
- 6% 10 year Guyana - Demerara Distillers - Port Mourant still
- 4% 23 year Trinidad - Caroni - column still
- 0.5% 42 year Guyana - Uitvlugt - Port Mourant still
- 0.5% Original Royal Navy Rum - world blend
Maturation: Tropical and Continental Ageing
Raw Material: Molasses
Cask type: Multiple
The nose is said to be showing aromas of cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, caramel-glazed apple tart and some citrus, with barbecued pineapple, chocolate, raisins and ground coffee adding to the complexity. The palate gives notes of liquorice at first, then vanilla, lime juice, dark chocolate and poached pears, then ‘a backbone of dried mint and tarragon is married with natural sweetness and a touch of nuttiness, in the form of bananas and walnuts’.
‘The British Navy were the original rum blenders, marrying together flavours from around the world to create something served to every sailor, every day,’ said Chilton. ‘This bottling, marking the 50th anniversary of Black Tot Day, is a tribute to their original blend, bringing together some of the great lost rums of the past with modern distillates of today.’
Each year, the producer will releasing a new iteration of the Black Tot blend, using the previous years’ rum as the base.
54.5% abv, RRP £110/700ml (available from October), Elixir Distillers, elixirdistiller.com