Last Sunday, rum royalty gathered at the Crowne Plaza hotel in London's Kensington for The Golden Barrel Rum Awards. Following a weekend of RumFest the ceremony saw some of the most influential names in rum attending, including Appleton Estate's Joy Spence.
Hosted by global rum ambassador Ian Burell and celebrating 10 years of RumFest, the night saw the presentation of 12 awards, recognising stand-out rums, as well as individuals, who have made a significant contribution to the rum industry.
Winners were carefully selected by Ian Burrell and a panel of experts with awards including 'Best UK rum website', 'Best New Rum Brand in the UK' and 'Rum Bar Team of the Year'.
The 2016 winners were as followed:
- Boutique RumFest Brand: Nine Leaves, Japan
- Consumer's Favourite Rum: Diplomatico Rums, Venezuela
- Rum Menu of the Year, Cubana: Sheffield
- Most Influential Rum Bar In The UK Over The Past 10 Years: Trailer Happiness, London
- International Rum Brand Ambassador: Alexx Mouzouris, Don Q
- UK Rum Brand Ambassador, George Frost, Duppy Share
- Rum Bar Team of the Year, Mahiki, London
- Best UK Rum Website: Rum.Charlosa
- Best New Rum Brand in the UK 2016: Foursquare 2006 Single Blended Rum
- Rum Influencer of the Year: Luca Gargano, Velier
- Distillery Ambassador Over the Past 10 Years: John Georges, Angostura Distillery
- Most Influential Rum Blender Over the Last 10 Years: Joy Spence, Appleton Estate Rums