Rioja Alta adds Martelo to range

Chris Losh

Chris Losh

06 September 2017

La Rioja Alta, one of Rioja’s most respected wineries, has launched a new top-end wine from its Torre de Oña estate.

Martelo is a single vineyard ‘reserva’ wine from the region’s coolest, highest sub-region, Rioja Alavesa. It is dominated (95%) by Tempranillo, with the remaining 5% is a field blend of Mazuelo, Garnacha and (white) Viura.

The wine – at £35 a bottle – is positioned at a similar level to the same winery’s Torre de Oña Reserva and the Finca San Martin, though the amount of time the Martelo spends in oak (24 months) and the percentage of American oak barrels used (80%) is higher than both.

Julio Sáenz, winemaker for La Rioja Alta said, ‘The 2012 meets all of my criteria for Martelo – it was a fresh vintage with pleasant tannins and long, unhurried and balanced ripening. We are really excited to release this onto the market and look forward to receiving the feedback of our customers.’

La Rioja Alta’s wines are available in the UK through Armit Wines.

Related content


Think Rioja

Think you know Rioja? Think again! A collection of UK restaurants signed up for the challenge of running a series of events aimed at exploring the reg


Rediscover Rioja

Spain’s most famous wine region might have centuries of heritage behind it, but it’s always evolving. What does that mean? That there are some real treasures out there for the bounty-hunting sommeliers among you.

News |  Wine

Soul of Rioja: 44 Group wins Wines from Rioja competition

The bottles of wine have been selected and activities to promote them drawn up, but how did they fare in practice? Four restaurant groups across the c

News |  Wine

Enotria&Coe announce two new Rioja brands

Enotria&Coe is revving up its Rioja offering, adding two new producers – Ramón Bilbao and Sierra Cantabria – to its range.[caption id="attachment_2963