Sustainability tops the agenda at Imbibe Live

Jacopo Mazzeo

Jacopo Mazzeo

30 May 2019

Imbibe Live, the leading event for the UK on-trade, is putting sustainability at the forefront of its 2019 show. Theatre sessions will address the issue and delineate the key role the on-trade can play in developing a more ethical and responsible drinks industry.

James Fowler of award-winning restaurant Terroir Tapas will focus on seasonality, explaining how to eliminate packaging during his ‘Taste of Britain’ session in this year’s new Chef’s Table theatre.

Claire Warner, Pippa Guy and James Bowker will be talking local ingredients, demonstrating how foraging can be a great inspiration to mixologists in the Cocktail Lounge.

Sourcing locally will also be at the centre of a session led by The Hide's Paolo Tonellotto at Taste of London. He will discuss six drinks made or developed within a few miles of his Bermondsey bar.

At The Winemakers Cellar, Peter Richards MW, Gusborne’s Charlie Holland and Simpsons Wine Estate co-founder Ruth Simpson will give an overview of the evolution of still winemaking in England and what it means for the UK market.

Taking sustainability to the show floor

Commitment to sustainability will also be demonstrated on the show floor with a series of new initiatives. Plastic badge holders will be collected and reused, plastic sampling cups have been eliminated and plastic bottles of water and plastic cups have been banned from the Water Bar – biodegradable cups and straws will be offered as an alternative.

The organisers have also drastically reduced the amount of printed material by investing in the Imbibe Live Meeting App, which visitors can download and use to make the most of their time at Imbibe Live.

Lastly, 98% of all waste generated during the show will be recycled at local waste management plants, while the remaining 2% will be turned into energy. Additionally, Imbibe Live is committed to reducing the amount of waste produced in the first place by working closely with venue staff. Plans to increase the number of recycling bins and offer discounts for reusable cups are currently under discussion.

‘The exhibition industry has long been prone to excess and waste, but with a growing focus on sustainability in all walks of life, that has to change,’ commented event director Lindsey Coleman.

‘At Imbibe Live, we’re taking the steps to reduce our environmental impact and encouraging our exhibitors and visitors to do the same. We hope that with this year’s changes we can begin to support the wider efforts made in the industry to champion sustainability and help reduce our own impact on the planet.’

For more information on Imbibe Live and to register to attend, please visit the event's website. The full 'Driving sustainability at Imbibe Live' press release can be downloaded here

Related content


Enter Imbibe Live’s Tapsters 2019 competition and win a trip to the Steigl brewery

Do you have the best beer and cider team in the UK? Well, here’s your chance to prove it: The Tapsters is back for its third year at Imbibe Live this July.


Imbibe Live announces ambassadors for 2016

Imbibe's trade show, Imbibe Live, returns this year on 4 and 5 July, and the three ambassadors who will help curate the programme of talks, masterclas

News |  Wine

Read the latest issue of Imbibe

The latest issue of Imbibe is now available to read on

News |  Wine

Imbibe Live Online, part of Global Bar Week, now available on demand

Spend some time in the company of the likes of Ian Burrell, Megs Miller, Ryan Chetiyawardana, Ivy Mix and Lyndon Higginson without leaving the sofa.